* My instinct is to apply once you’re here with some sort of NZ address, 6yo is legal age to be in school, but don’t rush/fuss. Just settle in to life here, without school.
* Exemption form is available online – http://www.minedu.govt.nz/Parents/AllAges/EducationInNZ/Homeschooling.aspx
Don’t be spooked by talk of 15 page applications – not sure that’s needed..
* Use the outline of the application as your title heads, including subjects (I did, though made a disclaimer about the artificial nature of subjects ‘boxes’ as life is more wide ranging and mixed up than that) – and succinctly fill in their (MOE) boxes.
* Timetables and lesson plans are not necessary as all you need to show is that you ‘teach as regularly and as well’ (s.21, Ed Act, 1989).
Talk about regular meals, and maybe more sit down work in morning.
* Timetables are something wonderful to hang on walls to make someone else more secure but really are a work of fiction as we respond to the interesting world and families around us.
* Use of words like :: possibly, maybe, could be … are wonderful hs exemption form words!
* Expect to be asked for more info from MOE (min of ed) – it’s their way of trying to make us feel their power over us, methinks.
* In the meantime, think about what you want to achieve between now and 18yo.
What type of child would you like to train up? How will you bring out the best in them?
What are your family’s mottoes/ values/ priorities – this is where you spend most time in the next decade or so. I made a comment about wanting them to be contributing citizens who are honest, respectful,…