Suggestions for new parents
Before Baby is Born
1. Don’t rush out and buy baby clothes or equipment before baby is born, especially if it’s your first child.
2. Essential baby clothing items are envelope necked singlets [un/-domed, long- / short-sleeved], disposable nappies [even if using cloth nappies], soft wash cloths, and 2-3 [brushed] cotton wraps.
3. Have a car seat [maybe hired] organised about 3-4 weeks before due date. Practice getting it in before baby is born! Who wants half an hour fiddling by the kerbside on release from hospital?
4. Essential baby’s room items are drawer set, spare bed or table, changing pad, cot, rubbish tin.
5. Be familiar before baby is born with the cost of essential items and put money aside in a “Child’s Capital Account” for any purchases needed after the gifts have come in.
(c) Johanna W, Hn, NZ. May 1998, six months after my first child was born.
Filed under: Mothers |